An Ultimate Guide for IMAP Migration From Lotus Notes to Office 365
Are you among one of them who are not satisfied with Lotus Notes? Do you want to move your database from IMAP Lotus Notes to Office 365? If yes then, you have taken a right decision to proceed towards a productive and successful business.
IBM Lotus Notes is an emailing platform utilized for collaboration, information sharing, and scheduling. Lotus Domino renders a complete infrastructure to create, deploy, test, and control multilingual applications. However, it requires massive storage space to save data and results formatting issues in emails. Also, it comprises a complex user interface with high maintenance cost. On the other side, Office 365 provides many eminent features at affordable prices with a user-friendly GUI. These all factors are inclining users towards Office 365. So, individuals are eager to execute IMAP Migration from Lotus Notes to Office 365. To perform this data migration task without any data loss, follow the article and find out the easiest ways to export Lotus Notes NSF to Office 365.
Steps for IMAP Migration From Lotus Notes to Office 365
With the help of IMAP, one can move Lotus Notes data to MS Office 365. Its manual procedure is categorized into four major steps as mentioned below:
Step 1: Create a Backup of NSF Files
Creating the backup of emails is always been a crucial part for executing any migration procedure. In fact, it is advised to backup the data on regular basis to keep your database safe. After creating the backup, you can simply restore the data from it, in case of data loss/ file corruption. Furthermore, while Migration from IBM Lotus Notes to Office 365 this backup ensures the security of the database.
Step 2: Generate New Mailboxes
Once the backup is created, the next step is to create the new mailboxes for each user who has a profile in IBM Lotus Notes application.
Step 3: Enable IMAP TCP/ IP Port
Now, to proceed further, it is required to enable the IMAP settings for users. For this, follow below-mentioned guidelines:
- First, open the Domino Administrator in Lotus Notes
- Now, click on the Configuration tab to IBM notes to office 365 migration
- After this, open Server document for the server that runs the IMAP service
- Now, click on Ports >> Internet Ports >> Mail
- Next, turn on the default IMAP TCP/IP Port. To do this, first enable the ‘TCP/IP Port Value Status’ in the column of Mail (IMAP). Then, IMAP clients will become connected to TCP/IP port 143 on Domino
- Finally, click on Save and then exit
Step 4: Connect with IMAP Connector
Now, you need to use the IMAP Connector for syncing Lotus Notes emails with Office 365 account.
Limitations of IMAP Migration From Lotus Notes to Office 365 By Manual Approach
The manual technique to perform the IMAP Migration from IBM Lotus Notes to Office 365, includes some demerits, such as:
- If Lotus Notes is behind firewall and proxy then, it will not connect to the Internet
- If IBM Notes is in the disabled state then, it does not permit IMAP connection
- If IMAP Connects limits to migrate the calendar entries then, users have to perform it manually
- Manual creation of calendar entries is time-consuming and it slows down the migration speed
- Migrating data with IMAP protocol can just transfer the online data to Exchange Online
Best Way to IMAP Migration From Lotus Notes to Office 365
Luckily, There is an Alternative Approach
As the manual technique for IMAP IBM notes to office 365 migration consists some serious limitations that can result the data loss and other troubles. Thus, one can go for an expert solution i.e., IMAP to Office 365 Migrator. The software is capable enough to move emails from Lotus Notes IMAP server to Office 365 account in bulk mode. It allows both archive mailboxes as well as public folders with maintaining the hierarchy of IMAP folders. Selective IMAP data migration also can be done with the help of this tool as it provides the date-based filter. The software supports all IMAP email servers.
The above blog includes a complete information about IMAP migration from Lotus Notes to Office 365. Now, users can accomplish this task manually as guidelines for the same are mentioned above. Apart from this, a third-party application to transfer the IMAP Lotus Notes data to Exchange Online is also recommended for a safe migration.