Learn What is IMAP Server with IMAP Account Configuration
Every time when the user configures an email account, he/she is asked to select the email protocol i.e. IMAP or POP they want to use. The choice of the email protocol depends upon the requirements of the person. The requirements vary from person to person. However, most of the users select the IMAP protocol. Still, there are many users who are unaware of the IMAP Server. Moreover, when the user needs to switch from one email client to another they face issues due to lack of knowledge. Therefore, in this blog, we are going to discuss What is IMAP Server and IMAP account configuration in Microsoft Outlook 2010 and 2007.
Brief Introduction about IMAP Server
IMAP or Internet Message Access Protocol allows the users to access email messages from anywhere. Mostly it is accessed via the Internet as email messages are stored on servers. When the user opens the inbox, then the user’s email client contacts the server to get the new messages. Moreover, when the user reads an email message using IMAP, then he/she is not downloading the message or storing it on the system. Instead, the user is reading the email message off of the server. It makes easy for the users to check emails from multiple devices in a trouble-free way.
How to Configure IMAP Account in Outlook 2010 & 2007?
There are numerous ways the user can implement to configure account using the IMAP protocol. In this blog, we are going to discuss IMAP account set up in Outlook 2010 and 2007.
Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 and 2007 – IMAP Account Configuration
1. First, start Outlook on your local machine
2. Now, navigate to File menu, click on Info and then click on Account Settings
3. From the list, you have to select Account Settings
4. After that, on the Email tab, click on the New and Select Email Account. Then to click on Next button
5. Next, you are select the Manually configure server settings or additional server types checkbox and click on Next button
1. First of all, start Outlook on your system
2. Now, go to Tool menu and hit on the Account Settings
3. After that, hit the New and then click on Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP or HTTP and then hit on Next button
4. Click to select Manually configure IMAP server setting or additional server type check box, in the Auto Account Setup dialog box
5. Now, Click on Next button to IMAP Account Configuration
Note: Step 6 to Step 20 are the same for Office Outlook 2010 and 2007
6. Now, hit on the Internet Email and then click Next
7. In the Server Information section, select the IMAP for Account Type
8. Enter your name in the Your Name box, which you want your recipients to see
9. Type your email address in the Email Address box and type your account name in the User Name box
10. After that, type your password in the Password box
11. Now, in the Incoming Mail Server box, type imap.(your email id)
12. Similarly, in the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) box, type smtp.(your email id)
Note: Before clicking on the Next button. You have to hit on the More Settings to make sure the are settings are done accurately or not to your IMAP account set up in Outlook
13. Now, in the General tab, you have to insert your name and a reply email address. Most of the times, this is same as your email address
14. After that, you hit on the Outgoing Server tab. For sending email, if you are using this service’s server then select the option: My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
15. Select My Outgoing Server Requires Authentication. Now, click on the Advanced tab and verify the port number are set to Incoming = 143 and Outgoing= 587
16. Select the Items tab to sync sent emails and then enable the option Save sent items in the following folder on the server
17. Now, to save your sent emails select the Sent folder and click on OK button
18. Hit on Finish button and then hit on Next after entering all the required details
19. Outlook will test and check the setting you entered. Once it is done, hit the Close
20. Finally, you will hit the Send/Receive button and you will see that your email will be downloaded to your mailbox
Nowadays, the most common search is what is IMAP Server? Therefore, in the post, we have discussed a complete stepwise procedure to IMAP email setting in Outlook. IMAP permits the users to access, organize, read and sort the email messages without downloading them. Thus, IMAP is very fast and efficient. Nowadays, most of the users prefer to use IMAP Server. Therefore, in the above section, we have explained a step by step process to IMAP Account Configuration using which the users can easily setup IMAP emails in MS Office Outlook 2010 and 2007 in a hassle free way.