How to Perform Office 365 to G Suite Migration using Data Migration Service
The competition in the field of cloud-based suites is getting tougher every day. Every cloud service provider is adding new features to attract business users. Due to this reason, we see a good number of subscribers switching between cloud suites. When an organization decides to migrate from one cloud-based suite to another, the necessity to export data from the old suite arises. Keeping this in mind, Google offers Data Migration Service to its users who migrate from Office 365 to G Suite.
This service allows users to transfer Office 365 to Google Apps as well as data export from MS Exchange. Now, there is a specific guideline for this process that needs to be followed. Since many users do not know this guideline, they are unable to perform this method. To help such users, we have decided to write the guideline in detail. Continue reading to know how to migrate data from O365 to G Suite.
Things to Remember before Exchange / Office 365 to Google Apps Migration
Supported Exchange Web Services (EWS) environments for this tool are:
- Exchange 2013
- Exchange 2010
- Exchange 2007
- Exchange 2003
Supported G Suite Versions are:
- G Suite Basic
- G Suite Business
- G Suite Enterprise
- G Suite Educations
Prerequisite Step: Setting Up Data Migration Services for Office 365 to G Suite Migration
As the Data Migration Service is going to conduct the export process from O365 to G Suite, we need to prepare it for the process.
- First of all, users have to sign in to the Google Admin Console with the administrator account. Remember: Administrator account id does not end with @gmail.com.
- The home page of Admin Console will open. Navigate to Data migration from there by clicking on More control.
- Click on Email>> Continue.
- At this point, Email Migration screen will appear. Here, you have to perform these actions:
- From the list of Migration Source, select between Microsoft Exchange and Office 365 mail server according to your actual legacy environment.
- Choose an option from the below to select the connection protocol of your “legacy mail server”
Select Autoselect to have the protocol getting determined automatically. (This is the recommended step by Google.)
- If you want to include the Exchange Web Services URL by yourself, you have to select Exchange Web Services option. Then type the URL, which is the address that is used by Exchange to contact with Exchange Web Services. One such example is:
- Add your role account credentials like email address and password.
- Click on the Connect button.
- If it fails to connect, check if the information regarding the role account and connection protocol is correct. Finally, click again on Connect.
- Users have to accept all the default options of two sections named “Migration start date” and “Migration options.” Else, they can choose the data that do not need export.
- Click on Select Users.
How to Migrate from Office 365 to G Suite
Once, Data Migration Service has been set up, users can proceed to migrate data from Exchange / Office 365 to G Suite using Data Migration Service.
For Single User
To export data of a single user, the below steps should be followed:
- Hover your arrow over Add icon and then click on Select User.
- Type the preferred MS Exchange email address in Migrate From field.
- Now enter the email address of G Suite where the data will get migrated. As you start typing, you will be able to see a list of suggested users that you can choose from.
- Click on Start.
- When office 365 to G Suite migration is done, go to Settings>> Exit migration.
(If you want to export from some other account, repeat the process.)
For Multiple Users
In case you are interested to import data of multiple users, apply these steps:
- First of all, hover over Add icon and click on the option Select multiple users.
- Click on Attach file button and upload CSV file containing the addresses of legacy email and G Suite. (To know how to format the CSV file, click on this link.)
- Click on Upload and start the migration.
- In case you realize there are some errors in CSV file, there are two options for you:
- Click Cancel. Now correct the file and reload it.
- Check Ignore errors box to ignore the erroneous mapping.
- Click on Settings>> Exit migration when the data transfer is completed.
Whenever people want to move their data between office suites, it is better to use utilities provided by the service providers themselves. It is because these utilities and services offer more security and accuracy than the third-party application. When it comes to migrating data from Office 365 to G Suite, Google-powered Data Migration Service comes very handily. In this post, we have described the method of performing data transfer using that service. If users follow the detailed direction given here, they will be able to perform data export with ease.