Execute IMAP Migration from Google Apps to Office 365 in Few Simple Steps
Switching from one platform to another is such a common task nowadays. Every user wants to access the data in the best email application, which is available in the online market. Inevitably, Google Apps is a suite of productivity tools powered by Google that lets users perform common business tasks and cross-communication. However, OWA or Office 365 is a combination of Microsoft’s productivity and utility tools that brings forth various attractive features that compel a user to perform IMAP migration from Google Apps to Office 365. Therefore, in the forthcoming section of the article, we are going to cover some possible methods for this IMAP migration. However, before that let us have a quick glance on some more reasons behind such migration.
Responsible Factors to Migrate Google G Suite to Office 365
There are various reasons that result in the conversion process of Gmail IMAP to Office 365. Some of these reasons are switching from one to another organization or due to the advanced features of Office 365, etc. Let us go through some queries that are taken from the forum site.
- “Previously I was working in a place where we all were using Google Apps for emailing, data management, or sharing any other information. However, I have recently shifted to another section of the same organization where Office 365 is used for the same. Now, in my Gmail account, I have some important and crucial emails. Therefore, I need to migrate Gmail IMAP to Office 365, if possible. Please suggest me any relevant and quick method.”
- “I have already done a great research on how to transfer the mailboxes of Google Apps to Office 365 account, but nothing works for me. I got a manual solution, but I found it very lengthy. Is there any quick and small way of exporting all data from Google G Suite to Office 365?
- “My professor assigned me a topic that what is the procedure to shift the mailboxes from IMAP Gmail to Office 365. Therefore, I want to know a reliable workaround for the same.”
Manual Strategy to Perform IMAP Migration from Google Apps to Office 365
For migrating the mailboxes of Gmail IMAP to Office 365 account, you need to follow below mentioned steps sequentially and carefully to avoid any kind of data loss condition:
Step 1: Verify Your Domain in Office 365
Before beginning the IMAP migration, users need to check and verify to Office 365 that they own the domain is being utilized for their G Apps account.
Step2: Add Single or Multiple Accounts to Office 365
Users either can add one user or several users a time as per requirement. While adding users, one also add the license to them. Users also require a license, which includes the Exchange Online plan for their mailbox. Every user must have a mailbox on Office 365 to execute the migration procedure. After verification, domain and the created mailboxes in Office 365, close the wizard and do not proceed with setup domain.
Step3: Create Gmail Mailboxes Export List
Now, users need to create a migration file which contains a list of all IMAP migration from Google Apps to Office 365. Using Excel is the simplest technique to create the migration file, thus we are using Excel in below instructions. One can use Excel 2007, Excel 2010, or Excel 2013.
While creating the migration file, users need to know the password of every Gmail mailbox that they want to migrate. Users also can assign the temporary passwords (via resetting the passwords) for all the mailboxes during the migration process. For resetting the passwords, a user must be an administrator in G Suite. Users are allowed to add maximum 50,000 mailboxes in migration file and the data file can be 10 MB large sized.
- First, sign in to your IMAP Google Apps admin console via your administrator username and password
- After signing in, select the users
- Choose each user for identifying the each user’s email address and write down the email address
- Sign in to Office 365 Admin Center and navigate to Users >> Active users. The information in the Username column will be utilized later so, keep the Office 365 admin center wizard open, too
- Launch Excel application and create a migration file in it that will start with the heading in the first row. The heading must be the following:
- EmailAddress in the cell A1
- UserName in the cell B1
- Password in the cell C1
- After that, enter the email address, username, and the password for every mailbox that you need to move and enter one mailbox per row
- Column A: Email address of Office 365 mailbox (Here, enter the Username that is displayed in Users >> Active users in Office 365 admin center)
- Column B: Sign-in name for user’s IMAP Gmail mailbox (for instance, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Column C: Enter the app password for user’s Gmail mailbox
Step 4: Connect Office 365 and Gmail Mailboxes
- Open the Exchange Admin centre and go to Recipients >> Migration >> More >> More icon >> Migration endpoints
- To create a new migration point, click on the Add (+) icon
- Choose IMAP on Select the migration endpoint type window
- On IMAP Migration Configuration wizard, set the IMAP Server to imap.gmail.com and keep the other default settings as it is
- Hit the Next button and in the migration service utilizes the settings to test the connection for the Gmail system. If connection works Enter general information page will open
- In Enter general information window, enter the Migration endpoint name i.e., Test7-endpoint
Step 5: Open Gmail Mailboxes Conversion and Create A Batch Migration
- In Office 365 Admin Center, go to Admin centers >> Exchange
- In Exchange admin center, navigate to Recipients >> Migration
- Click on Add (+) icon >> Migrate to Exchange Online
- Select the IMAP migration >> Next
- Eventually, from Select, the user’s wizard, go to the file that was created in MS Excel and the Office 365 validates it
- After validation the exporting file, Microsoft Office 365 will display the total number of users available in the file for IMAP migration from Google Apps to Office 365
- Click on Next button
- Choose the migration endpoint
- Accept the default values on IMAP configuration wizard and click on Next
- Enter the name of migration batch and in Move configuration page, click on Next
- On Start, the Batch page, enter the name (no spaces/ special characters) of the migration batch inbox
- Browse the migration reports to send a replica to other users
- Select Automatically start the batch >> New option, and initiate migration process after the completion of synchronization. Then, the migration will start immediately with Syncing status
Step 6: Route Gmail Directly to Office 365 and Update the DNS Records
- Sign in Office 365 account and go to Domains page
- Choose a domain and click on Fix issues
- For every DNS record type, which you need to add, select What do I fix? Then, follow the instructions to add records for Office 365 services
- After adding all the records, you will get a message that your domain is set up correctly. No action is required
Step 7: End up Synchronization With IMAP Gmail
After verifying all the emails will be routed to Office 365 then, users can delete the process in batch and end Gmail and Office 365 syncing
For deleting migration batch:
- In the EAC, go to Recipients and then Migration
- Open the migration dashboard and choose batch and hit a click on Delete button
Open the Recipients >> Migration in EAC and verify that the migration batch is no longer listed in the dashboard
Due to the amazing features and services, Office 365 is gaining more popularity among organizations. In this article, we have discussed how to execute IMAP migration from Google Apps to Office 365 manually.